Dreams of the Father and Insights of the Daughter

Finding a new relationship built on the foundation of the past, we are moving into the future with anticipation for what will be discovered. Person to person, moving away from preconceived ideas about what this stage of life has to offer, we are open to the experience of each day as a revelation and a gift.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Father is a true romantic. He said today "I have always lived in a fantasy world." This has not been evident to me in my thinking about him as he was raising a family. As a teenager, I remember asking him why he married Mom. He said, "I got tired of washing my own socks." He said this kiddingly. But as a young person I was devastated. I wanted a romantic story of falling in love and not being able to live with out my Mother.
Courting and marrying Helen, my step mother, in 2000 after my Mother's death, was a romantic episode for him. He said at the time, "I feel like I am 16 again."
I have work long and hard to rid myself of romantic notions. Pinning my hope on a significant other has not been satisfactory in my experience. But then what is romance?
Closeness seem to be a more tangible objective. Closeness can be found in so many more relationships. I want to be with people in all our humanness. I want to learn to show myself more and to work through what maybe hard about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment